Photo Credit: Martin LaBar via Compfight cc
Spring is a such a great time of year! Here are a few really cool facts about this amazing season. Did you know any of these already?
1. The first day of spring is the vernal equinox. Vernal equinox literally means “equal night.”
2. Even though it is the “equal night” the first day of spring is rarely an even 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark.
3. Standing on the equator on the first day of Spring, the sun will pass directly above you. This only happens one other time per year.
4. There is daylight during the spring and summer because the Earth’s axis tilts toward the sun.
5. Daylight Saving Time also gives us more daylight hours. Benjamin Franklin proposed Daylight Saving Time way back in 1784.