An easy way to make almost anything more special for your kids is to let them put their own unique stamp on it. This Christmas, why not try making your own homemade Christmas ornaments and let them put a little bit of their own personality into your family’s decorations. Our tree is full of paper ornaments and ornaments made out of popsicle sticks that my son has made at school, but this year I wanted to try something a little different. After a little bit of searching I found a great glass ornament project on CountryLiving.com that looks amazing and is simple enough even for young kids.
Some of their ornament ideas have instructions, but this one did not. I’m sure some of you can just look at the picture and figure it out. For instance, to do something like the pebble ornament, you’ll just select your “filler,” remove the top of the ornament, fill it up, and reattach the top. It’s really that simple. Actually nothing here is rocket science, but for the rest of you that prefer a little guidance, here is a set of instructions for a couple of the ideas pictured above.
Peacock Feather Ornament (This one is by far my personal favorite)
- Take your clear glass ornament and carefully remove the top.
- Take your peacock feather and cut it to a length so it will nicely fill the inside of your ornament.
- Using hot glue or another clear drying glue, attach the peacock feather to the middle of the ornament’s metal top.
- Let the glue dry.
- Once the glue is dry and the feather is securely attached, carefully guide the feather inside the glass ball and reattach the metal top to the ornament.
Red Bird Ornament
- Find a small, decorative branch that you can place securely in your glass ball.
- Find a small bird figurine that will fit inside the ball.
- Using tweezers, position your branch inside the glass ball.
- Put hot glue or other clear drying glue on the bottom of the bird and gently secure it to your branch using your tweezers.
- Place the ball somewhere where it won’t roll or get bumped and allow the bird to dry to the branch.
- Once everything is dry, put the metal top back on and hang it.