As we discussed in our last post, back to school time is nearly upon us. That means we need to cram all those unfinished summer plans into the last few remaining weeks. One thing I’m sure your kids had on their summer list was “eat a ton of ice cream.”
Summer is truly the best time to enjoy a nice cold treat, but one treat you don’t see very much anymore is the trusty old banana split. With places like Marble Slab mixing the fixins’ right into their delicious concoctions, the banana split has seemingly become less popular.
It would be ashame if an entire generation of kids went a whole summer without relaxing, cooling off and enjoying a classic split. So today, we are going to give you the instructions for making the perfect banana split. We cannot take credit for the recipe, but we did search high and low before deciding on sharing the recipe found on AskMen.com.
We’ll share the recipe below, but I highly recommend clicking through to their post if you want to know the history of the banana split, or you want instructions on how to make your own sundae syrups as well. It’s all included in their article.
And if you think there’s a better recipe out there…please share in the comments!
The Perfect Banana Split
Banana Split Recipe
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 scoop strawberry ice cream
- 1 scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup of crushed pineapple
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 3 maraschino cherries
- ¼ cup blanched, chopped almonds (dry-roasted in a pan)
- 2 fan-shaped ice cream wafers (any shape will do if you can’t find these, but I think they add to the appeal)
- Chocolate syrup
- Strawberry syrup
Assembling the banana split:
- Peel the banana and split lengthwise.
- Whip the cream and keep ready to one side.
- Lay the two halves of banana facing each other on the glass plate.
- Place one scoop each of the chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream between the two halves of banana.
- Top the ice-cream scoops with crushed pineapple and then with whipped cream.
- Add the mini marshmallows.
- Squirt a good amount of the strawberry and chocolate syrups over the whipped cream.
- Top with a handful of roasted almonds and the three cherries.
- Place a wafer at either end of the glass plate and serve to an awestruck audience.