We always have new parents and families joining our Country Home family. If you’re new to Texas, you may not yet be aware that there is a designated tax-free shopping weekend that happens right before school starts up again.
This year, Texas’ Tax Free Weekend is from August 8-10, 2014 for general merchandise purchased in Texas. The tax-free status applies to:
- Clothing and footwear under $100
- School supplies under $100
- Backpacks under $100 for elementary and secondary students
- Includes layaway items
Get More Out Of Tax-Free Weekend
- Just because it’s tax-free weekend doesn’t mean you should just go to the nearest store to take advantage of the break. Compare pricing at different stores and look for back to school coupons that will help you save even more!
- Don’t buy everything you need just because it’s tax free. Texas has a sales tax rate of 8.25% so that’s what you’re saving. You may be able to find better savings through sales or coupons on different dates. So while saving the tax is nice, you may be able to get better deals on larger ticket items if you wait for a better sale to come along. Look around online to see what back to school sales may be happening online or in stores near you.
- Not everything is tax free that weekend. Make sure you know what is and isn’t taxable. You can find all the information about what is not taxed during the sales tax holiday here: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/taxholiday/d/