It’s back to school time, and that means getting up early every morning and making sure your kids eat a healthy breakfast before they head out the door. Luckily, one of Texas’ most popular and easy-to-make breakfasts can be one of the healthiest. With its perfect combination of protein, carbohydrates and vegetables (think chunky salsa), the breakfast taco is a meal that will give your kids a great start in the morning. Now, I’m sure I don’t need to tell too many fellow texans how to make a great breakfast taco, but we’ll give you a recipe for a basic egg taco that kids love just in case.
Classic Egg & Cheese Breakfast Taco
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Cooking Spray
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, mexican blend, or other favorite)
- 2 flour or corn tortillas
- 2 Tbsp Salsa
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat pan over medium heat.
- Use butter or cooking spray to coat warm pan.
- Add eggs, milk and salt to a mixing bowl and beat until blended.
- Pour eggs into pan and scramble.
- Once eggs are completely cooked, divide in half.
- Place one half in the center of one tortilla and the other half in the center of the second tortilla. (For a better taco, warm the tortillas in a pan or in the microwave.)
- Cover the eggs with cheese.
- If your child likes salsa, spoon 1 Tbsp of salsa onto each taco.
- Wrap and enjoy.
If you want to make your tacos a little bit healthier, you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs, or you can try using a reduced fat or non-fat cheese. And if you have a food processor or a good blender, try making fresh salsa in the morning for an added boost of fresh flavor.
Now breakfast tacos are obviously not the only healthy breakfast option, and your kids will probably appreciate a little breakfast variety. So, if you want some more great healthy breakfast ideas, check out this great article from Eating Well. It’s got 18 great recipes, including the breakfast taco, that take breakfast a few scrumptious steps beyond just cereal and milk. You’ll find great recipes there for dishes like a breakfast parfait, power bars, and even a mini breakfast pizza. What kid wouldn’t want pizza for breakfast?
Take a look and let us know which healthy kids breakfast recipe your kids love the most!