Country Home Learning Center is dedicated to providing a safe and healthy environment for all of the children who attend our schools. We are also dedicated to being environmentally conscious. We would like to share some of the ways Country Home has “gone green” and some of the things you can do at home to make your house as safe, as healthy, and as green as possible.
Recycling is a key component in “Going Green.” Country Home incorporates a recycling program which includes the recovery of used paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum and plastic products. If you live within the San Antonio city limits, you can participate in a recycling program by using a city-provided recycling, receptacle for you place alongside the curb on your designated pickup day. You can even involve your children by helping them sort recyclable materials, visiting child-friendly recycling websites, and reading books about recycling!
Our facilities were all built after 1978, the year lead paint was officially banned. We use cold water for drinking and cooking in order to avoid lead exposure from water lines. We do not use imported or handmade pottery to cook, or to serve food or drinks. A rough mat will be placed at the entrance to the facility to reduce possible exposure to lead-contaminated dirt.
We have a digital humidity monitor to help us avoid excess moisture, which contributes to the growth of mold and mildew. By maintaining adequate ventilation — using suitable fans or open screen windows — you can keep your home at a desirable humidity range (between 30-50 percent). Humidity monitors can be purchased for just a few bucks at your local hardware store.
Utilizing a privately-available pest control service, Country Home sprays for pests one Saturday of every month, and parents are notified during the following week. Our pest control company uses organic, chemical-free pesticides. Ask your preferred provider about organic pesticides available in your area!
Country Home thoroughly washes all fruits and vegetables before serving them to our students, to be certain they are ridden of all those nasty pesticides and germs. Though cooking does help, be sure to really wash the food at your home.
A new sign at the front door asks that parents not idle their vehicles in our designated parking areas. These toxic emissions are not good for our environment! Please remember to turn off your car if you plan to park it for more than a few moments.
In the future, Country Home will only use low-VOC commercial paints and, as always, will never paint any part of the facility in the presence of children. Low-VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) paints have fewer harmful fumes, which can trigger asthma attacks and many other health problems.
Did you know? Baby bottles and “sippy cups” made of hard, clear plastic (and labeled “#7”) can contain potentially harmful chemicals which leach into them from heat exposure. Some examples include: warming them in the microwave, and cleaning them in the dishwasher. If you already own one of these bottles, you can reduce the risk by hand-washing them after each use. Opaque or glass bottles are OK!
We only use non-toxic art supplies approved by the Art and Creative Materials Institute. Look for the “ACMI Non-Toxic” seal on your home art supply purchases.
We use chlorine bleach in our commercial sanitizer only when there are no children present. Bleach should be stored out of the reach of children at all times, used prudently, and never more than necessary.
We ensure our furniture is in good condition, without foam or inside stuffing exposed. Carpets are vacuumed daily and professionally-cleaned monthly using bio-degradable cleaners. Playground equipment made of treated wood is regularly sealed with a polyurethane coating.
Country Home does not (and has never) permitted smoking anywhere on our campus, or in the sight of children. The healthiest environment for a child is smoke-free.
We avoid toys made out of soft-plastic vinyl, such as beach balls, rubber duckies and teething toys. In the future we will purchase only those toys labeled “PVC-free.” Also, when using a microwave, never heat children’s food in plastic containers, plastic wrap, or plastic bags.
Country Home does not use glass thermometers which contain mercury. Instead, we use digital thermometers to monitor potentially-sick children’s temperatures. Also, we are in the process of converting our mercury-containing thermostats to digital thermostats. You can determine if your thermostat contains mercury by removing the front cover and looking for a silver liquid contained in a glass shell. You can purchase a digital thermostat at your local hardware store.
Resources for YOU: