Did You Know?
Modeling good choices and a positive, proactive attitude will enable your child to grow up with a strong sense of well-being. Below are some ways to practice healthy eating habits and physical activities.
Physical Fitness Activities for Young Children:
- Morning Exercise Routine
- Outside Play Activities and Games
- Relaxation techniques for nap time – yoga is not just for adults!
- “Shake your Sillies Out” activities to promote focus and concentration
Why Physical Activity?
- It helps your child stay healthy
- It helps your child learn good habits early in life
- It gives them an outlet for their natural energy (U.S. Department of Agriculture)
Activities that Foster Nutrition:
- Introduce your child to new foods by having them use their senses
- Plant a garden and encourage your child to help care for the foods
- Serve meals that are diverse and exciting
- When safe and appropriate, allow your child to help in the cooking process as they make healthy snacks and meals
- Demonstrate proper portion sizes while serving food
Develop Healthy Eating Habits:
Many things influence what and how much your child eats. As a parent, you have the most influence on your child. You can do a lot to help your children develop healthy eating habits for life:
- Set a good example for your child by eating healthy
- Offer a variety of foods
- Start small with portions
- Help them know when they’ve had enough
- Follow a meal and snack schedule
- Make mealtime a family time
- Help them try new foods
- Make food fun (U.S. Department of Agriculture)