Many of us love the idea of family dinners around the table. Eating together carves out space for quality time and family bonding, but it can be hard to embrace family bonding when people are talking over each other. If you are trying to prioritize more family dinners this year, consider saving a list of simple conversation starters. These prompts can help family meals be an intentional time of growing closer and building memories. Even if your kids are little, conversation starters engage them in what’s happening around the table. It gives them a chance to be heard, a chance to be seen.
Here are some of our favorite conversation starters for family dinners. Don’t let this list limit you. Create your own prompts or list of questions that you ask at every family meal.
Conversation Starters for Family Dinners
- What were the best and worst parts of your day?
- What was the funniest part of your day?
- If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- What did you learn today?
- What is your favorite letter of the alphabet? Why?
- Do you remember any of your dreams from last night?
- What makes someone a good friend?
- What’s your favorite thing to do as a family?
- Name three things you’re thankful for today.
- What made you smile today?
- Did you make anyone smile today?
- What’s the best thing about being a kid?
- What’s the worst thing about being a kid?
- Where is your favorite place to be?
- If you had a zoo, which animals would you include? Which animals would you leave out?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Would it be harder to stay silent all day or keep your eyes closed all day?
- Is there anything you’re worried about right now?
- What would you do if you had all the money in the world?
- Do you have a favorite song?
- What food would you get rid of completely if you could?
- What do you do when you’re bored?
- If you could invent a new ice cream flavor, what would it be?
Dinner conversations can and should be fun! Enjoy getting to know your family members a little better at every meal…and they’ll get to know you better, too!