With only a few weeks left of gorgeous fall weather, it’s time to catch up on lots of fun family activities. Have you taken a trip to the pumpkin patch? Sipped apple cider by a bonfire? Made a stop for a pumpkin spice latte? Roasted marshmallows? Gone on a hayride? Embrace the final days of crisp air and falling leaves with these sweet family activities.
If you’ve already exhausted your fall bucket list items, we’ve got something up our sleeve for you. Gather the kids around the kitchen table, and get ready for an evening of creativity! We’ve got a great recipe for DIY pumpkin play dough that you won’t want to skip.
Pumpkin Play Dough
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. cream of tartar
- 1/3 small jar of pumpkin pie spice
- Maple extract
- Vanilla extract
- Red + yellow food coloring
How You’ll Do It:
- Combine the dry ingredients and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add water, a few tablespoons at a time, mixing continuously.
- Add 2-3 dashes of each extract.
- Add 2-3 drops each of red and yellow food coloring.
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until it is stiff. Stir continuously. Add more food coloring as you stir until you achieve desired color.
- Allow the play dough to cool on a wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- At this point, you can tailor the play dough to your liking. Add more of the extracts if it needs to be less spicy smelling. Add more flour if it’s too sticky. Add more water if it’s too dry. Once you’ve made your additions, knead the dough around to mix it all in.
Divide the play dough amongst your kiddos and yourself and hand out rolling pins and cookie cutters. The dough will leave your house smelling just like fall, and it will give you sweet memories to hang on to as the last days of fall slip into winter.