This week we’re celebrating America’s 242nd birthday, also known as the 4th of July. And what better way to celebrate this holiday than with firework cupcakes? We’re sharing one of our favorite recipes below. It’s simple, festive, and delicious!
Firework Cupcake Recipe
- Cupcake mix (and ingredients to make)
- Vanilla frosting
- One black licorice wheel (or other black string licorice)
- 24 large marshmallows
- 12 oz red melting chocolate wafers
- Prepare and bake your cupcakes according to directions on box.
- Frost the cupcakes.
- Unwind the licorice wheel and separate the two strands. Cut the licorice into pieces about an inch long.
- Place the red melting chocolate wafers in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir and heat until the wafers are melted and smooth.
- Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment. Skewer a marshmallow with a toothpick, and dip it into the melted coating. If necessary, use a spoon to pour coating over the marshmallow to make sure that it’s fully covered. Pull it out of the coating and let the excess drip back into the bowl.
- Place the marshmallow on the baking sheet and gently twist the toothpick out of the top. While the coating is still wet, stick a piece of licorice into the hole in top of the marshmallow.
- Repeat until all of the marshmallows have been dipped. Refrigerate the tray to set the coating completely, for about 10 minutes. Once set, stick a marshmallow firecracker into the top of a frosted cupcake, and serve!
Other firework cupcake ideas:
From Craft Create Cooke
From The Gunny Sack
While you’re enjoying your delicious firework cupcakes, be sure to check out these fun facts about July 4th!
Happy 4th of July!