A very important holiday is today, and we think it’s safe to say that it isn’t a holiday that you (or your kids) want to forget about or miss. Are you wondering what the holiday is? After all, July 4th was last month, and Labor Day isn’t until next week.
We won’t keep you guessing any longer.
Today, August 4th, is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! Don’t you think this is a day that deserves to be celebrated? It shouldn’t be too hard to figure out how to celebrate this tasty holiday, but we’re sharing a few ideas just in case.
Find the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie in Town
Take a tour of your town, in search of the best chocolate chip cookie. Don’t rule any place out; you can even keep it simple and budget-friendly by sampling chain restaurants’ cookies. For example, McDonald’s, Subway, and Chick-Fil-A all sell chocolate chip cookies! If you live in an area with actual cookie shops, you’ll have even more options. Involve the whole family by sampling each cookie together and rating which one you like best.
If you’re in Austin, try Tinys Milk & Cookies. If you’re in San Antonio, try Lily’s Cookies.
Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
Of course, it’s hard to beat making your own chocolate chip cookies. There’s nothing like a warm chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven, paired with a cold glass of milk or a big scoop of ice cream! If you have a tried and true recipe, whip up a batch for your family (and maybe even your neighbors). If you’re still looking for your go-to recipe, this recipe from All Recipes has over 18,000 ratings. It looks like a winner!
Read a Cookie-Themed Book
Are you surprised that there are actually a lot of children’s books about cookies? Look for any of the books below at your local library, and read them on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Numeroff
- Mr. Cookie Baker, by Monica Wellington
- The Cookie Fiasco, by Dan Santat
- How Do Dinosaurs Eat Cookies? by Jane Yolen
- The Last Chocolate Chip Cookie, by Jamie Rix
Learn Something New About Chocolate Chip Cookies
You’ve read about chocolate chip cookies, you’ve eaten chocolate chip cookies, so now it’s time to learn something new about them. Check out these interesting facts.
- You can increase the flavor of chocolate chip cookies by letting the dough sit in the fridge for 24 hours before baking.
- Chocolate chips were specifically invented for chocolate chip cookies.
- The world’s largest chocolate chip cookie weighed 38,000 pounds and contained 30,000 eggs.
- They were originally called Butterdrop Do Cookies.
- It is the official cookie of Massachusetts.
No matter how you choose to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we hope you have a sweet time celebrating with family!