Kids love anything that involves melted chocolate, getting messy and time spent with their beloved mom’s! How about a summertime treat that involves all three? Well, that calls for the tried and true recipe of Puppy Chow! This one is kid-friendly, both for cooking and for eating. So tie on your aprons, pull out your mixing bowls and wrangle your kids into the kitchen. We’re sure they’ll love the special privilege it is to be alongside mom in the kitchen!
What You’ll Need:
- 9 Cups (or a whole box) of Chex cereal in a large bowl
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
How You Do It:
- Place ingredients 2-4 in their own microwave-safe bowls. (If not cooking with kids, you may choose to put all three ingredients into one saucepan and simmer on low for a few minutes.) Microwave ingredients until they are melted down, with no lumps.
- Combine all three melted ingredients into one bowl.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over the bowl of Chex. Have your helpers stir it all together until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into a large resealable plastic bag.
- Slowly add powdered sugar into the bag.
- Have your helpers shake the bag until the sugar is evenly spread over all the pieces.
- Place the bag in the fridge to cool
- Enjoy as an after dinner treat with your family!
- Check out our Pinterest page for some creative spins (Nutella, Lucky Charms, etc.) on this classic favorite!
- Divide the mixture evenly into multiple plastic bags so kiddos can shake their own share.
- This is a great treat for a party favor or birthday gift. Place some into cellophane bags and tie with a ribbon. Just be sure to check for peanut allergies first!
Don’t underestimate the value of spending quality time in the kitchen with your kids. They’ll get a firsthand look at all the love that goes into crafting dinners, doing dishes and prepping lunches and you’ll make all sorts of good memories. Your kids will also learn valuable lessons in the kitchen, like cleaning up after themselves and being patient. Most importantly, don’t forget to have fun!