Some of the most common ideas for family time take place indoors. Whether it’s a movie night, game night, or something else, it’s easy for families to spend the majority of their time together inside. When is the last time your family went to the park, took a walk, or rode bikes together? Maybe you spend family time outside every week, or maybe you don’t. Either way, we want to encourage you to get outside as a family this week!
Spending time in the great outdoors is beneficial for every human, no matter how old. Here are just a few reasons why.
- When the sun is out, we get vitamin D, which promotes healthy bones.
- Being outside promotes mental health and can ease stress and depression.
- Playing outside is a great way to make exercise fun for kids. (Don’t even call it exercise!)
- Spending time outdoors may actually reduce a child’s chance of becoming nearsighted.
- The more family time you spend outside, the less you spend staring at a screen.
- Your child’s imagination can run wild outside.
- There are so many learning opportunities outside. Teach your children about seasons, stars, weather, and more!
Spending family time outside doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are some simple ideas for outdoor family time.
- Take a walk in your neighborhood, downtown, or around your house
- Play catch in the backyard
- Go stargazing
- Eat dinner outside, picnic-style
- Go on a bike ride
- Play tag, I Spy, or make up your own game
- Go on a nature walk
- See how many types of flowers you can spot
- Find pictures in the clouds
- Read books outside
What’s your family’s favorite outdoor activity? Carve some time out this week to enjoy the great outdoors together.