You probably know that yoga is a great way to move your body and relax your mind. But did you know that it’s a great outlet for kids, too? Today we’ll tell you about the benefits of yoga for your kids, and give you plenty of resources to help your little ones start their practice.
Benefits of Yoga for Kids
Being a kid in the 21st century is stressful due to the fact that they are
- Developing body awareness
- Learning how to use their bodies in a healthy way
- Managing stress through breathing, awareness, meditation and healthy movement
- Building concentration
- Increasing their confidence and positive self-image
- Feeling part of a healthy, non-competitive group
- Having an alternative to tuning out through constant attachment to electronic devices
Because of these benefits, even teachers are starting to incorporate yoga into the classroom as a way to blend exercise into their curriculum.
Yoga Resources for Kids
If you don’t consider yourself a yogi, helping your child practice yoga may seem daunting. Luckily, there are lots of resources that allow the whole family to practice together. Websites like Yoga Class Near You allow you to search for in-person classes in your area. If practicing in the privacy of your own living room sounds more appealing, Cosmic Kids has a YouTube channel devoted to walking kids through different poses and flows. There are also lots of great children’s books that will introduce your children to the practice of yoga.
Does your family practice yoga together? We’d love to hear your favorite yoga pose! Namaste.